About Zaytuna College
Zaytuna College, America’s first accredited Muslim liberal arts college, aims to educate and prepare morally committed professional, intellectual, and spiritual leaders, who are grounded in the Islamic scholarly tradition and conversant with the cultural currents and critical ideas shaping modern society.
The college offers a Bachelor of Arts degree program in Islamic Law and Theology, as well as a six-week Summer Arabic Intensive program. It is located in Berkeley, California, in a historic building on “Holy Hill,” so named because it has the largest consortium of religious schools in America. The college offers a friendly, respectful and collaborative work environment.
About the Position
The Vice President of Institutional Advancement will work as part of the executive team to create a strong financial foundation for continued growth of the College. The Vice President will lead the planning and implementation of successful national and international fundraising campaigns, including the annual fund, capital and endowment funds, major and planned gifts, donor relations (with an emphasis on high net-worth individuals), and corporate/foundation grant proposals.
The ideal candidate will have a proven record as a leader and a change agent. He/she will take institutional advancement to the next level by significantly increasing funds raised and broadening efforts to include planned giving and corporate/foundation gifts.
He/she will articulate the vision and relevance of Zaytuna College to all constituents.
This is a full-time, exempt position and reports to the President of the College. The title of Vice President or Executive Director will be dependent upon the candidate’s relevant experience.
Responsibilities include and are not limited to
- Develop and implement a five-year fundraising plan.
- Lead all fundraising, donor management and engagement activities.
- Grow the current portfolio of several thousand donors to raise tens of millions of dollars annually.
- Develop an endowment and capital campaign of approximately one hundred million dollars.
- Cultivate and engage high net-worth donors.
- Lead a team of staff, consultants and a network of volunteers.
- Collaborate with marketing, finance, academic and student affairs departments.
- Set up processes and metrics to increase efficiency and donor satisfaction.
- Engage the President and Board of Trustees in fundraising.
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum of 7 years in non-profit fundraising in a leadership role.
- Experience in higher education or non-profit fundraising or institutional advancement is a plus.
- Proven success in leading multi-year, multi-million dollar fundraising campaigns.
- Demonstrated leadership in developing a professional team.
- Familiarity of the American Muslim community is a plus
- Proficiency in Urdu and/or Arabic is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred.
- Must have U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the U.S.
- A strong passion and commitment to the Zaytuna College mission.
- A “can do,” “hands-on,” proactive, “get it done” leader and change agent.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; comfortable with ambiguity.
- High ethical standards, professionalism, and integrity.
- Team player with a collaborative style and a personal commitment to service.
- Problem-solver who takes the initiative within and beyond areas of direct responsibility.
- Excellent communicator and gifted at building personal relationships.
- Willing to travel up to 40% of the time.
- Work Status:
- Competitive salary
- Employer shared health benefits; paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave. Access to employee-funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Job Location:
- Berkeley, California
How to Apply
- Application Materials:
- Cover letter
- Zaytuna College is an equal opportunity employer.
Be sure to include the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line of your email.